Author Notes: This recipe is light and crunchy and is the ultimate sugary punch to get you through your anti-diet. If you're looking for something to serve at a party or something just for you and your boo - this is it! —Joey Truty
Makes: 20-30 wontons
Banana-Stuffed Fried Wonton
ripe bananas - peeled and diced
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon fresh lemon juice
ounces canola oil - for frying
cup confectionary sugar
ounces semisweet chocolate chips
tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
- Combine the diced bananas, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a medium-sized pot. Turn on the stovetop to medium and stir constantly for five to seven minutes. We're just heating these bananas through, we're not trying to caramelize them.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot heat oil to 350 degrees.
- While the oil is heating up, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare a "wonton wrapping" station and a small bowl of water. Taking a wonton wrap and dollop 1 teaspoon of banana mixture in the center. You don't want to overfill these so be careful with the first few you create.
- Wet you finger in the water and trace the two adjacent sides of the wonton. Fold the wonton in half into a triangle. Dab the two long corners of the triangle in water and squeeze together. Place the wonton on the baking sheet and make sure to keep covered with a damp tea towel as you prepare the additional wontons.
- When the oil is ready, slowly place five or six wontons into the pot and let fry until golden. You may need to rotate or spin them in the oil so each side equally fries. Mine took about a minute to a minute-and-a-half each. Note: you don't want to place too many of them into the oil at one time or it will lower the temperature of the fryer. When the wonton is at the desired color, remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess oil.
- Let cool completely (about ten minutes). Transfer to your final presentation plate and drizzle the plate with the following chocolate.
- Chocolate: Heat (in either a microwave or stovetop) chocolate and butter until melted. Add the milk or heavy cream and stir the mixture vigorously until smooth.
- Sprinkle with confectionary sugar. You can never have too much. These are best served in the moment so they maintain their crunch.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains