yellow plantains (plus one thinly sliced and pan fried for topping)
small (about 900 g – 2 pounds) butternut squash
small onion diced
chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- For plantains;
- Cut the tops and bottoms off each plantain. Cut a slit into a peel on one side of the plantain.
- For butternut squash;
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds, place cut side up-side-down and poke holes with the tip of the knife.
- Roast plantains and squash for approximately 45 minutes. Plantains skins should be completely blackened. Let cool to room temperature. Peel and chop.
- In a large saucepan heat 2 tbsp oil and sauté onion until becoming translucent; add plantains, squash, chipotle pepper, stock and salt.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Puree soup using the blender or immerse blender.
- In a large frying pan; fry sliced plantains on 2 tbsp oil for 2-3 minutes on each side, season with salt.
- To serve pour soup into a bowl and top with 2-3 fried sliced plantains.
- In my case, I don’t want to name the names, but somebody did eat fried plantains.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains