If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pickle (Achar) is loved by most of the Indians and it makes an easy 'go to' side with Rice dishes especially in lunch boxes. Every time I make pickle at home, I get reminded of my hostel days. My mom used to pack and send with me (at least 3 varieties of pickles) and I and my friends used to love having them for our lunch. Best had with hot rice or rotis.
FYI: Garlic has numerous health benefits and has always been an inevitable part of Indian cooking.
Incorporating them into our daily diet helps to lower high blood cholesterol, pressure, and sugar levels. —Jiya.A
Peeled and cleaned Garlic Cloves
Slit green chilies(adjust the number depending on spice tolerance)
tablespoons Fine Sliced Ginger
teaspoons Sesame Oil
sprigs Curry leaves
tablespoons Kashmiri red chilly powder / Paprika
teaspoon Hing/ Asafoetida
teaspoon Fenugreek powder
teaspoons Mustard seeds
tablespoon Brown sugar /Jaggery
tablespoons White Vinegar/ Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Clean and peel the garlic cloves and keep it dry.
- Finely chop the green chilly and ginger and keep aside. You can use a chopper or mini food processor for this.
- Remove the garlic onto a paper towel and to the same oil lightly fry the ginger, green chilly and curry leaves.
- On low flame, add the spice powders and salt to the oil and keep sauting till the raw smell of the spices leaves the mixture.
- Add the brown sugar or jaggery at this stage.
- Now add in the fried garlic and mix well until well coated. Check the spice level and salt.
- After 2 mins, remove the pan from heat and add the vinegar and mix well.
- Store dry in an airtight container or glass jar.
- You can refrigerate and store Pickles for even a year or more, make sure the container is moisture free and airtight.
- Tip# For long shelf life, always use clean and dry spoon to serve the pickle from the jar and make sure you store air tight after use.