Author Notes: Not to be confused with Southern pimiento, this is a simple spread of sweetened mayonnaise and cheese. It's not exactly the same as the sandwiches of my childhood, but my own interpretation of it. —Pamela K. Santos
Prep time: 1 hrs
Cook time: 15 min
cups Dutch gouda cheese, shredded
teaspoons creamed honey, up to 4 tsp. for a sweeter taste
cup mayonnaise (1/2-3/4 cup if it's of a chunkier consistency)
teaspoon garlic powder
Long French baguette (about 12 inches)
tablespoons cooking oil
- Freeze cheese for at least at least an hour, for easier shredding. Preheat oven to 375° F. Heat creamed honey in microwave 15-30 seconds, to soften.
- Shred cheese into bowl. Add mayo, garlic powder, and warm creamed honey. Mix well, with cheese shreds remaining distinguishable. Adjust sweetness to taste.
- Toast bread for 2 minutes.
- You can buy prepared fried garlic in Asian markets, or make it yourself. Mince garlic and enough oil to cover it up (about 2 tbsp.), in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, up to 1 minute and a half. Let stand 1-2 minutes to continue cooking in hot oil until the color is golden brown. Drain with cheesecloth if available or simply use fork to press against sides of bowl and remove for further drying. Frying them on stovetop is an alternative; just watch carefully not to burn or overbrown.
- Spread cheese pimiento on one side of bread. Sprinkle fried garlic on top. Add more for that garlic bread flavor. Save extra garlic in jar just like lola would do.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!