This samosa, despite being almost made from scratch is so easy to make and a lot healthier than the regular deep fried samosas, it contains potato and cauliflower and some spices and it is seriously delicious. —Ramona's Cuisine
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
- Serves 8 people
organic potatoes peeled and cubed
oil or butter
leak halved and thinly sliced
cauliflower head washed and made into small florets
fresh grated ginger
spring onions finely chopped
black pepper freshly ground
onion finely shredded
fresh curry leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons
Himalayan pink salt
green or red chillies optional
mixed seeds cumin, mustard, fenugreek and black sesame
mango pickle to serve with
In This Recipe
- Chop onion and place into a deeper pan with 1 tbsp oil or butter along with the garlic, seeds and chilli if you choose to use. Cook for 2 min covered stirring occasionally.
- Add the finely shaded leek and cook for a further 2 min covered.
- Add the curry powder, black pepper, salt, turmeric powder and the cubed potatoes. Stir well and add a drizzle or two of water or milk. Cook covered for 10 mins stirring from time to time.
- Add the cauliflower florets and the chopped leaves * ( see recipe notes ) and cook for another 6-7 min. Add the curry leaves slightly ripped.
- When the potatoes and the cauliflower are soft, it’s ready. Grab a fork or a potato musher and partially mush some of the potatoes. You want some chunks too for texture so do not mush it completely. Mix
- Preheat the oven at 190*C. Place a parchment paper in a tray. I used 2 pizza trays.
- Place 7 pastry sheets on the parchment paper, brush slightly with a bit of oil or melted butter.
- Spoon 1/4 of the potato filling in the centre of the pastry in a shape that you like (I chose a round one this time). Place the other set of 7-8 sheets over this, brush with oil or butter and spoon the other 1/4 of the potato filling in a shape that corresponds to the one underneath and then fold the pastry over (the one from underneath too) forming a pie like round huge samosa. Repeat with the other.
- Give both another oil or butter brush over and place both in the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 min.
- When ready, take out of the oven, allow it to cool slightly and serve with some spring onions and chilli sprinkle. I like it with a mango pickle - very nice