Author Notes: Don't want to make 10 sandwiches? Don't. I'd just as soon as make this for a crowd as I would for me and my boo. Just freeze the leftover pulled pork in small portions (figure 1/4 pound per person) for bonus meals down the road. —Emma Laperruque
Food52 Review: This is one of our Big Little Recipes. Read more here: 5-Ingredient Pulled Pork Sandwiches—Homemade BBQ Sauce Included. —The Editors
Makes: 10 sandwiches
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 3 hrs 10 min
For the slow-roasted pork
pounds boneless pork butt
teaspoons kosher salt
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)
tablespoon canola oil
For the BBQ sauce and sandwiches
cup apple cider vinegar
chipotles, plus their adobo sauce to taste
pinch kosher salt, or to taste
soft potato buns, halved
- Season the pork all over with salt and black pepper if you're using it. Refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours. Or leave on the counter for about 45 minutes.
- When you’re ready to roast, preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Set a Dutch oven over high heat. Add the oil. Meanwhile, pat the pork dry with paper towels. It will be damp from the salting, which we don’t want—it’ll cause it to steam in the pan versus sear. When the oil is shimmery, add the pork (if butcher's twine is holding the meat together, leave it on). Sear on all sides (including those ends!) until the crust is deeply browned.
- Turn off the heat. Slowly add 1 cup water to the pot. It will sizzle and steam and make a fuss. Cover the pot and get in the oven. Roast for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until the pork is so tender, you can easily shred it with two forks.
- Meanwhile, make the BBQ sauce. Combine the ketchup, vinegar, and chipotles in a food processor. Buzz until completely smooth. Add adobo sauce and salt to taste.
- When the pork is done, remove any butcher's twine, then use a couple forks to shred the meat into big pieces. Add 1/2 cup BBQ sauce right into the Dutch oven and toss. Add more to taste.
- Build the sandwiches! Pile pork on a bottom bun, slather with more BBQ sauce, then top.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!