Author Notes: These eggs are not just for breakfast! Creamy over-medium eggs temper the spice of a generous spoonful of harissa, the salty bite of soy sauce, and balance nicely with the chewy, savory bits of shiitake mushrooms and browned garlic. —Alyssa
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
tablespoon olive oil, or other neutral oil
cup sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
garlic cloves, minced
cup greens, optional
teaspoons harissa, to taste
teaspoon Bragg's amino acids, or soy sauce
tablespoons Green onions or cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced shiitake mushrooms. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add minced garlic, sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- If including greens (spinach, bok choy tops, or tender kale), add to the skillet and cook down for about 1 minute, until mostly wilted.
- Using a spatula, make two "holes" in the mushroom/garlic mixture. Crack one egg into each hole.
- Add a splash of water to the skillet (1-2 tablespoons) and cover immediately. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Once yolks are nearly set (still slightly jiggly), remove the cover and sprinkle the harissa and amino acids (or soy sauce) over the whole skillet. Replace cover.
- Dish is finished when egg whites are completely set, and the yolk is still soft.
- Optional: garnish with sliced green onions or chopped cilantro.