Author Notes: I have always been fascinated by dried fish/prawns but for some reason never enjoyed them. Then I ate Kismur and my love affair with dried prawns began. Here is my preparation of Kismur! —Anurag Mehrotra
Prep time: 1 hrs 30 min
Cook time: 10 min
cup Dry prawns (preferably larger ones)
cup Freshly grated coconut (using a coconut scraper)
Large onion, chopped finely
teaspoon Tamarind paste
teaspoon Oil (optional)
teaspoon Cayenne powder
teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Clean the dry prawns by taking off the head, legs and tails.
- Roast the prawns on a medium flame on a cast iron griddle or frying pan.
- Keep stirring and when they are toasted and light brown, take off the fire (if required you may add the oil while roasting the prawns). They will get crisp/crunchy/toasty after a little while.
- Mix together the coconut, cayenne and turmeric powders, tamarind paste and salt thoroughly.
- Just before serving/eating add the prawn pieces and chopped onion and mix well once again.
- Do not add prawns before hand as they will get soft.
- Enjoy as a side with Dal/Rice or Fish Curry/Rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Umami-Centric Recipe