Author Notes: Don’t you love when the recipe title is also the ingredient list? I do. This one-skillet dish is as easy (and delicious) as a weeknight dinner gets. If spicy Italian sausages aren’t your favorite, sub in any other fresh sausage link; I bet chorizo would be great. —Emma Laperruque
Food52 Review: This is one of our Big Little Recipes. Read more here: Sausage & Peppers Become Their Best Selves With These 2 Ingredients. —The Editors
Serves: 2 to 4
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
tablespoons olive oil, divided
spicy Italian sausages
pound baby potatoes, ideally assorted colors, or yellow, halved
pinches kosher salt, plus more to taste
bell peppers, roughly chopped (circa 1-inch chunks)
large red onion, roughly chopped (circa 1-inch chunks)
- Set a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. After it gets good and hot, add the olive oil, then the sausages. Brown all over—about 2 minutes per side—then remove to a waiting plate. We’re not trying to cook them through, just sear ’em!
- Add another tablespoon olive oil to the skillet, followed by the potatoes, cut side facing down. Season with a big pinch of salt. Cook these for 5 minutes until browned, then flip and cook another 5 minutes. Transfer these to the plate with the sausages.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil, then the peppers and onion. Season with a big pinch of salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender—about 10 minutes. Add the sausages and potatoes back to the skillet. Pour 1/3 cup water evenly over the top and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the sausage is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, lifting the lid for the last few minutes. Taste and adjust the salt accordingly.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!