Author Notes: Jerusalem artichokes are plentiful in the farmers market now, and this was the result of my efforts to find something to do with them. I use homemade roasted vegetable stock, but I'm sure chicken stock would be fantastic. I'm not sure about substituting water or canned vegetable stock. The results were surprisingly delicious. I made my soup in a pressure cooker in 10 minutes. It could obviously be made in a regular pot, cooked for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes . Brenda —BLB
- 12 jerusalem artichokes,peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup shallots, minced
- white pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 sprigs of parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- 6 mushrooms
- In a stock pot or pressure cooker sweat the shallots in olive oil then add the jerusalem artichokes and cook til tender. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour in the liquids and add the bay leaf, parsley, garlic and carrot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 -45 min or 7 minutes if you are using a pressure cooker.
- Remove the parsley and carrot and bay leaf. Puree the soup with an immersion blender.
- slice mushrooms and saute over high heat in butter or olive oil til tender . Place a few pieces in the bowl when serving the soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side