If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This one comes from my husband's mother who was a fine cook. We've tried many nouveau latke recipes but always come back to the original. The smell of frying latkes at Hanukkah wouldn't be the same without it. —KarenO
Serves a crowd
- 5 lb potatoes
- 4 onions
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour (or more)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- sour cream
- canola oil
- Peel and grate the potatoes (medium grind, not fine). This can be done on a box grater or in a food processor (so much easier!). Ring them out in a clean towel to get most of the water out.
- Peel and grate the onions.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Add salt to taste and more flour if needed (the mixture shouldn't be watery).
- Fry in plenty of canola oil until crisp, flipping once.
- Serve with sour cream and/or applesauce.
- NOTE: These freeze well so you can make them ahead and pop them frozen into a 350 oven for 10-12 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Pancakes