Author Notes: This pasta is super adaptable and can be made using different vegetables or meats depending on what you have on hand! It's perfect for a quick lunch. This recipe serves one but could easily be doubled for two. —Rebekah Black
Serves: 1 person
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
grams small pasta (such as macaroni or farfalle)
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
cup chopped fresh vegetables in 1-inch pieces (such as eggplant and summer squash)
teaspoon minced garlic
cup chopped tomato
ounces chicken breast, chopped into 1-inch pieces
ounces fresh mozzerella cheese, cut in 1-inch pieces
tablespoon chopped fresh basil
tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of pasta liquid.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pan. Cook until chicken is done and no longer pink on inside, about 6-7 minutes. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to pan, add veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 6-7 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and add pasta, basil, and mozzarella cheese. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle with an additional 1 tbsp olive oil, and add pasta water to loosen up, if needed. Cook until all ingredients are hot and cheese is melted (this part goes pretty fast and only needs maybe 2 minutes).
- Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and more fresh basil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pantry Pasta