If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I served this recipe at Thanksgiving this year as a quick and easy appetizer. It looks elegant and tastes delicious. The best part about this recipe is that it is very versatile. You can substitute any kind of fresh herb for the basil oil and any kind of cheese you like! —Messy Chef
Polenta Cakes + Brie
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large yellow onion
- brie cheese, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper
- Combine basil, extra virgin olive oil, garlic clove, salt and pepper in a food processor. Blend for about 3 minutes until all the ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add polenta, stirring continuously for about 3 minutes. Stir in half and half, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour into 13x9 greased baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and stir occasionally for 15 minutes. As the onions begin to caramelize and turn darker, stir more frequently, about every 60 seconds, for 10 to 15 minutes. Entire process should take between 25-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, cut polenta into 1½ inch squares. Top with slice of brie cheese and about 1 teaspoon of caramelized onions. Drizzle with basil oil for garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish