Author Notes: I love Ina's recipe for panzanella, it was a revelation when I discovered it in my early 20s. I've probably only faithfully followed the recipe that first time and have made endless variations over the years. This one, with garlic scape pesto as the marinate for the bread and peppers, and also as dressing is my favorite version. —Sarah
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 20 min
Garlic Scape Pesto
tablespoons Olive Oil
Lemon, zest and juice
Slices of slightly stale bread
Medium sized carrots
tablespoons Olive oil
- Make the pesto: Blitz the scapes, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, zest and juice of 1 lemon, and 1 teaspoon of salt in a blender or food processor.
- Half and de-seed the bell pepper and brush with pesto, set aside.
- Brush the bread with pesto, set aside.
- Chop all of the raw vegetables: Slice the carrots and cucumber into thin crescents; roughly chop the heirloom tomatoes.
- Grill the peppers and bread. The peppers will need 8-10 minutes per side; the bread will need 3-5 minutes per side.
- As soon as the pepper and bread are cool enough to handle, chop roughly.
- Toss raw vegetables with the roughly chopped grilled peppers and bread and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of scape pesto and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.