Author Notes: Adapted from Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter. Love the original recipe, and wanted to try a spicier version so added garlic, chopped the onion, and added some pepper flakes. Will make it again! —Tamara
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
pounds Fresh Tomatoes
tablespoon Minced Garlic
teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Freshly Grated Parmesan
- Peel and chop onion and garlic.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add onion and garlic.
- Blanche tomatoes in boiling water for one minute, then remove peel, core, and chop the flesh into small chunks.
- Add tomatoes to saucepan, along with the pepper flakes. Cover and let simmer on low 25-30 minutes.
- For the pasta, cook according to instructions on the package. When pasta reaches desired tenderness, remove from heat and drain before adding the pasta to tomato sauce. Stir so the sauce thoroughly coats the pasta, then remove from heat.
- Serve the pasta in large bowls, topped with freshly grated Parmesan.