Author Notes: In an effort to please gluten free friends we started making frittatas. One day we were out of white potatoes so I used sweet potatoes instead and the result was pretty divine. —lindasetchell
1/2 - 1
cups milk or half n' half
ounces goat cheese
shallot finely chopped
large sweet potato or yam
tablespoons butter or olive oil
bunch spinach - washed & destemmed
teaspoon salt (or less depending on taste)
dash black pepper
- Peel sweet potato and slice into quarter inch thick rounds.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil in the bottom of a large cast iron skillet. Once oil/butter is warm cover bottom of skillet with one layer of sweet potato rounds. Let cook for 4-5 min.
- Meanwhile chop shallot and saute in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter/olive oil in separate pan.
- Turn off sweet potatoes (no need to turn - they cook fast).
- Whisk eggs together and then whisk in milk or half n' half, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wash and de-stem one bunch of spinach or one package of baby spinach. Make sure to remove the stems to avoid stringiness.
- Pour egg mixture into pan with sweet potatoes, add shallots next, spinach and finally chunks of goat cheese evenly distributed. Cook for two minutes on the stove-top on medium heat.
- Transfer to broiler and cook for another 2 - 2 1/2 minutes or until eggs puff. Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast