- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 45 minutes
- Serves 2 to 4
This recipe takes the classic idea of roasted chicken atop potatoes, and adds a summery vibe with zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and fresh minced oregano. It all happens in a single skillet, so it's perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. —Josh Cohen
Test Kitchen Notes
This recipe was developed in partnership with Lodge Cast Iron. —The Editors
bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
small Yukon gold potatoes (about 3/4 pound total)
zucchini, sliced into half moons, about 1-inch thick
large handful cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
cloves garlic, minced
fresh oregano, minced, plus an extra pinch for garnish
Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Set a large skillet over high heat, and add just enough canola oil to cover the skillet. As the oil is getting hot, season the chicken front and back with salt and freshly ground black pepper. When the skillet is hot, add the chicken skin-side down. Your skillet should be large enough to hold all the chicken in a single even layer.
- Sear the chicken over high heat for about 8 to 10 minutes, until the skin is a deep golden brown. To check how the chicken is cooking, I like to use a metal fish spatula. It allows you to scrape under the chicken and unstick it from the skillet without tearing the delicious chicken skin.
- While the chicken is cooking, cut your potatoes into bite-size pieces. When the chicken skin is a deep golden brown, flip the chicken and cook it for 5 minutes on the flesh side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside on a plate. Add the potatoes and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. You’re aiming to get the potatoes lightly golden brown on all sides.
- When the potatoes are lightly golden brown on all sides, add the zucchini. Stirring occasionally, cook the zucchini for about 5 minutes, until the zucchini is beginning to caramelize. The metal fish spatula is good for gently flipping the potatoes and zucchini, stirring them gently so that they don't get smashed.
- When the zucchini is beginning to caramelize, add the tomatoes, garlic, and oregano. Reserve a little oregano to garnish the final dish. Stir the veggies gently, and season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the chicken back to the skillet so that it's resting atop the veggies, skin-side up. Place the skillet in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove the skillet from the oven and garnish with the remaining oregano. If you're feeling relaxed, serve the chicken straight out of the skillet and enjoy. If you're feeling like you wanna flex your chef muscles, transfer the chicken and veggies to a large platter. Add the juice of one lemon to the empty skillet, scraping the bottom to release any caramelized bits. Drizzle the contents of the skillet over the chicken and veggies. Enjoy!