If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Have you ever wanted silk or cashmere on your morning table? If you have, then this is your answer. I love this recipe because it is tasty, easy and nutritious. Buttery pecans, currants and (c)raisins, wholesome bran and heartful oats. What more could you wish for? Did I mention make ahead, stress-free and perfect to feed large groups, in scaled up or down portions. Perfect for (lazy and) hardworking moms, dads and kids, hosts and hostesses
Food52 Review: I often dream of making and eating muesli but somehow never make it happen. This recipe fulfilled all my visions of the perfect muesli. I love the idea of having a jar of this on hand for whenever the craving hits me. The recipe comes together in a flash and is filled with delicious and healthy ingredients. An extra bonus is that you can tinker with it to suit your taste. I added some chia seeds to mine since they are loaded with protein and other nutrients. A jar of this along with some homemade yogurt would make a nice holiday gift. —sticksnscones
Serves: at least 4
Swiss Bircher Muesli
2 cups homemade muesli mix (I use 1/3 to 1/2 a cup per person), see recipe below
1 cup of (vanilla/plain) yogurt
1/2 cup raw pecans, hand crushed
1 - 2 sweet, crisp apples, finely chopped or grated (Leave the skin on if you like)
Ripe bananas, to serve
- Put the cereal in a large bowl and top up with milk to cover the cereal.
- Add the cup of yogurt to the milk-muesli mix and stir well. Then add the pecans and the chopped apples. Stir well and cover bowl. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, the cereal grains would have absorbed the milk and yogurt. If you find the cereal too thick, loosen by stirring in some more milk. The consistency should be loose, creamy and silky…on the tongue!
- Serve with banana slices.
Homemade Muesli Mix
2 cups of oats or rolled rice (for gluten-free)
1 cup of All-bran or 1/2 cup ground almonds+1/4 cup brown rice cereal +2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (for gluten-free)
1/2 a cup of hazelnuts/almonds/pecans raw (not roasted) & chopped
1/2 a cup of small dried fruit (raisins, craisins, currants, sultanas,dried cherries or dried blueberries)
1/2 a cup of larger dried fruit, chopped up (Apricots, Prunes, Apples)
Optional: To make it extra special, you can add 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon or vanilla powder, some flaked/dessicated coconut, chocolate chips….. the list is endless.
- * The cups don’t have to be measuring cups, just ensure you use the same (-sized) cup to measure all the different ingredients, or adjust to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well to combine and store in an air-tight container. Keeps for a month plus
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast