If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Roasted beetroot is an amazing experience. I used to hate beetroot until I read about roasting them in the oven.
It took me ages to try it but the result is incredible, really tasty.
Rather then mixing it with a salad and ending up having a red salad, I thought of making it on it’s own and pairing it with some oranges and a great blue cheese, some pine kernels, walnuts or pecans – all are a perfect match for the season. —Maria Teresa Jorge
Roasted Beetroot Salad with Blue Cheese and Creamy Orange, Mustard and Honey Vinaigrette
- 4 beetroots
- 1 1/2 cups bluecheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup roasted pine kernels
- Honey to drizzle
- Ladon Salt
- 2 Oranges
Orange, Mustard and Honey Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon White wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon French Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk or a plain yoghurt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º.
- Wash the beetroots very well. Wrap them in aluminium foil and cook in the oven for about 45 minutes or until medium soft when tested with a skewer.
- Crumble the blue cheese and set aside.
- In a frying pan, over very low heat, toast the pine kernels. If using walnuts or pecans, lightly toast them in the oven.
- Peel the oranges leaving no pith at all and remove the wedges of orange leaving the skin in between. Set aside.
- Open the aluminium foil with the beetroot inside and allow to cool. Peel the skin off (it comes out very thin and really easy), discard the stem. Cut the beetroots either in cubes or any other shape you prefer.
- Put in a bowl, season with the vinaigrette and toss well to coat the beetroot.
- Transfer it to your serving dish and garnish with the orange wedges, the blue cheese, pine kernels and a drizzle of honey. Once you put the beetroot in the serving dish, don’t be tempted to mix it with the blue cheese - the cheese will become red and not so eye appealing.
- Drizzle a little honey, sprinkle with Maldon salt and serve.
- Creamy Vinaigrette
- In a container put all the ingredients except for the olive oil. Beat with a handheld blender until creamy and the salt is completely dissolved.
- Pour the olive oil in a drizzle and continue beating until it’s creamy. Check the salt. Take your time, you’ll really get a nice creamy sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner