Adapted from Marcia Kiesel’s recipe featured in Food & Wine, similar to the Ottoman dish İmam bayıldı —Melissa P
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour
- Serves 2
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground Pepper
yellow onions, finely diced
herbes de provence
toasted white bread, cut into 1/2 inch dice
grated cheese medley (mozzarella, emmental & tomme de caractère)
cloves of garlic, minced
In This Recipe
- Halve the eggplants lengthwise and cut out the flesh, leaving 1/4-inch shells. Cut the flesh into 1/2-inch dice. Salt the eggplant shells and let stand for 30 minutes. Pat the shells dry.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Rub the eggplants with oil; set them on a rimmed baking sheet, cut side down. Add 1/4 cup of water, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat olive oil. Add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over moderate heat until tender; transfer to a bowl.
- Heat more olive oil in the skillet. Add the diced eggplant. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook until tender and browned, 3 minutes; remove and put in the same bowl.
- Add the garlic, onions and more olive oil to the skillet. Cover and cook, until softened.
- Add the herbes de provence and the butter and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add to bowl with the eggplant mushroom mixture.
- Stir in the bread cubes, ½ cup of cheese, and the vegetable broth. Season the stuffing with salt and pepper.
- Increase the oven temperature to 210°C. Turn the eggplant shells cut side up and fill with the bread stuffing. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and bake for about 15 minutes (until browned)