This savory pie has Fullblood Wagyu hot Italian sausage, onions, tomatoes, Gruyere cheese, and fresh basil. The homemade galette dough, combined with all of the tasty toppings, makes each bite a treat! Next time you're hosting friends and family, try this delicious recipe! —Double8Cattle
- Prep time 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 6-8
PACKAGE Double 8 Cattle Company Fullblood Wagyu Hot Italian Sausage
Grapeseed Oil (divided)
Large Yellow Onions (julienned)
Thyme (leaves removed from stems)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Heirloom or Roma Tomatoes (sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices)
Fresh Basil Leaves (chiffonade)
All Purpose Flour
- Tools - Cheese Grater, Rolling Pin, 2 Medium Saute Pans, Parchment Paper, Baking Sheet
- FIRST STEP Take the Fullblood Wagyu hot Italian sausage out of the freezer, and place it in the refrigerator 24 hours before starting this recipe.
- PREPARING THE DOUGH In a large bowl, mix the flour, kosher salt, and grated butter. Mix until the butter is coated in the flour. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cold water. Then, pour the eggs into the flour mixture. Mix the dough just until it comes together in a ball. Divide the dough into two equal portions. Flatten each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick disk. Cover the dough with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- PREPARING THE ONIONS In a medium saute pan, heat 2 tablespoon of grapeseed oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the julienned onions, butter, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Cook the onions on medium-high heat, while stirring occasionally. Once the bottom of the pan gets a nice brown caramelization, add in the sherry. Scrape up anything on the bottom of the pan, and mix it in with the onions. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the onions have caramelized (takes about 20 minutes). Then, add in the thyme leaves.
- PREPARING THE FULLBLOOD WAGYU HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE In a separate saute pan on medium-high heat, add in one tablespoon of grapeseed oil. Then, add in the Fullblood Wagyu hot Italian sausage. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage into small pieces. Cook until the sausage is cooked through. Add the onion mixture (from the other pan) to the sausage. Then, place everything in a bowl, and set it in the refrigerator to cool.
- PREPARING THE GALETTES Pull the dough from the refrigerator, and unwrap. Dust a flat surface with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll the galette dough into a 12 inch circle. Starting from the center of the large dough circle, place half of the sliced tomatoes down. Overlap the tomatoes slightly and leave a 2 inch border around the outside. Lightly sprinkle with kosher salt. Top with half of the Fullblood Wagyu hot Italian sausage mixture and half of the grated Gruyere cheese. Start on the outside of the large dough circle, fold the dough over itself in 2 inch sections. Fold the dough up and over itself and up against the filling. Press gently to seal the folds. Repeat this process (the five steps listed above) with the other piece of dough. Place the galettes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the outside of the galette dough with a beaten egg. Chill the Galettes for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- FINAL STEPS Preheat the oven to 380°F. Bake the galettes for 20 minutes. Then, drop the temperature to 360°F, and bake for 10 minutes longer. Pull the galettes from the oven, and let them rest for 10-20 minutes. Cut each galette into portions, and garnish with chiffonade basil. Serve warm, and enjoy!