Author Notes: Years ago I was having some friends over and needed a dish to serve. I was craving a BLT sandwich, and in one of those light bulb moments, I decided to make a BLT salad. It was a big hit with everyone! —CherylDLee
Serves: 12 - 15
pieces bacon, preferably thick slices
cups green or black lentils
cup balsamic vinegar
teaspoon sea salt
teaspoon dried thyme
pound mini heirloom tomatoes, or other small tomatoes
- Slice the bacon into strips. In a medium skillet cook the bacon pieces until crisp, then reserve. Meanwhile cook the lentils about 15 - 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Pour the bacon grease into a measuring cup. If you have less than 1/4 cup, add olive oil to bring the level up to 1/4 cup. Return the grease to the pan.
- Carefully add the balsamic vinegar, salt and thyme. Whisk the dressing, making sure to loosen any bits stuck to the pan. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- Drain the cooked lentils and place into a large bowl. Pour the hot dressing over the hot lentils, and mix well. Let the lentils cool to room temperature.
- Halve or quarter the tomatoes, depending on the size. Once the lentils are cooled, stir in the reserved bacon and the tomatoes. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils