If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Over the holidays my son and I together made the most luscious sushi, maki style, with organic ingredients. This was his idea. I will be making these again. —Sagegreen
- 1 cup sushi rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- 2 1/2 cups filtered cups water
- 4 tablespoons organic rice vinegar
- dash of sea salt
- 2 sheets of organic nori roasted seaweed
- 1 perfectly ripe organic avocado, skinned and sliced into thin strips about one inch long
- 1 small organic cucumber, peeled and sliced into matchstick pieces
- 1 organic carrot, peeled and sliced into matchstick pieces
- 1 tablespoon ichimi togarishi, optional
- red caviar for topping
- organic pickled ginger
- small amount of natural wasabi powder mixed up with water, according to directions
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- After rinsing the rice clean, add it to a rice cooker or pan. Add the water, vinegar and salt. Cook until tender. Let cool.
- Spread a thin layer of cooled rice on top so you can see each grain..don't mush it altogether in a big clump.
- In the middle of the rice place strips of the avocado, cucumber and carrot pieces. Sprinkle with ichimi togarishi, if desired. Then roll up the nori sheet and place a bamboo sushi mat over the roll. Squeeze gently. Remove the mat. Using a very sharp slightly wet knife slice the roll in the middle, then each half into four pieces. Repeat the whole sequence with the other nori sheet. For a video on how to roll sushi, especially for variations, view: http://sushinow.com/rolling.htm
- Arrange the maki on a platter. Top with caviar, pickled ginger and wasabi. Garnish platter with cilantro leaves. Serve with chopsticks.