Author Notes: This was a family favorite while I was growing up. Either my sister or I gave this soup its name, because 1) it's soup that 2) is also a dinner that 3)makes it own side-dish. It is MUCH better the second day, when the soup thickens up and you can peel off the excess layer of fat that solidifies on top. —ohyoucook
teaspoon canola oil
pieces flanken (short ribs)
6 oz. cellophane "tube" Lima Bean and Barley Soup Mix
medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
salt to taste, if necessary
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add flanken and brown on all sides (about 2-3 minutes per side). You can omit this step, but the searing adds flavor.
- Carefully add water and the contents of the tube of Lima Bean and Barley Soup mix (reserve small seasoning packet). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add contents of small packet from soup mix along with potatoes. Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. If you are not serving immediately, let stand for 1 hour to cool down, then refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- The next day, peel off and discard layer of fat. Reheat over medium heat, almost to a boil. Then remove flanken and potatoes to a covered dish; set aside and keep warm.
- Taste and add salt, if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls and serve. Serve flanken and potatoes as the entree.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs