Author Notes: Ever been on a diet and missed the apple pie? Then this is the salad for you! It's doused in a brown butter vinaigrette and sprinkled with a pumpkin seed streusel, but hey! It's salad! —Ginger's Kitchen
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- juice of half a meyer lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- few pinches finely chopped fresh marjoram (sub: fresh thyme)
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 honeycrisp (or other sweet-tart) apple, cored and sliced thin
- 2 ounces fresh chevre
- Make the Pumpkin Seed Streusel: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, pumpkin seeds, oats, brown sugar, salt, and 3 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl. Use your fingers to blend the ingredients, until you're left with large streusel-y crumbles. Spread the streusel on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool slightly.
- Make the Brown Butter Vinaigrette: Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a small pan over medium-low heat. Watch the butter carefully- when the foaming has subsided and the butter has started to brown, add the minced shallot and soften for one minute. Remove from heat, and transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in the juice of half a meyer lemon, a sprinkling of fresh marjoram, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the Salad: Toss the lettuce, sliced apple, and chevre with a few tablespoons of the brown butter vinaigrette. Add dressing as needed until leaves are nicely coated. Sprinkle liberally with the pumpkin seed streusel. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples