Author Notes: In the early autumn, my favorite mushrooms, Chanterelles, peak up through the ground and are found quickly on my menu. This pie is comfort food with a capital "C." Other mushrooms can be substituted but Chanterelles really make it sing. —Tall Clover Farm
pounds Chanterelle mushrooms
pounds Chicken thighs
cup sour cream
- PREPARATION OF FILLING
- Saute mushrooms in butter, until tender and most liquid evaporates.
- Add one chopped onion, saute further, until translucent.
- Add diced chicken to pan, cook until tender.
- Add flour, stir, cook for a few more minutes for thickening.
- Add lemon juice, incorporate.
- Add sour cream, incorporate.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- PIE ASSEMBLY
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place baking sheet in oven. Line crust in 9-inch pie plate (10-inch works, too). Add cooled filling to crust. Add and crimp vented top crust. Brush top crust with egg wash (one egg, 1 t. water, mixed).
- BAKING PIE
- With oven at 425 F, place pie on baking sheet in oven, mid-rack. Bake for 15 minutes, or until top crust begins to brown. Lower temperature to 350 F, continue baking. Bake for another 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and center firm. Serve warm (though just as good reheated later).