Author Notes: Looks like a lot of people think Apple and Fennel go well together! May the best recipe win! —vegetarianirvana
Dressing for the salad
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
For the salad
- 2 cups fennel , sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch thickness [for roasting]
- 1/2 cup Granny Smith Apples cut up into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup Fennel cut up into matchsticks
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of shaved sharp cheddar
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fennel fronds for garnish[optional]
- For the dressing. Reduce the apple cider by boiling it down to 1/4 of a cup. The cider will have become very sweet and syrupy.
- Whisk in the brown mustard, apple cider vinegar and salt. Add pepper to your taste. Set the dressing aside. You won't be using all the dressing.
- Take the 2 cups of sliced Fennel and put it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle some oil[ less than 1/2 tablespoon should do] Sprinkle some salt and roast in preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 minute, turning once after 20 minutes. When it is nicely caramalized, remove and set aside.
- Mix the 1/2 cup of apple and the 1/2 cup of fennel matchsticks and marinade it in 1 tablespoon of the reduced apple cider dressing. Taste and add salt and pepper to your taste. Let it marinade for atleast 15 minutes..
- Now assemble the salad. Put the marinaded salad on to a serving dish. Top with the roasted fennel. Add the shaved cheddar. Drizzle some of the salad dressing around the salad. Garnish with fennel fronds if using.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples