- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
If there was ever a time to get up off your couch and make mashed potatoes, it is now. Behold: the dreamiest mashed potatoes, perfect for holiday entertaining and beyond. Pools of brown butter and crispy herbs swirled into creamy, dreamy mashed potatoes. Folding whisked eggs into the steaming spuds gives them richness and body, while the crispy herbs and garlic add crunchy, craveable texture. Tired of counting sheep? Try tallying these tasty tubers as your ticket into dreamland.
One thing I never lose sleep over when I’m planning to host is counter space, thanks to the built-in wash bin in my Prolific Workstation Sink by Kohler™. When it’s time to prep the potatoes and herbs for this dish, I can wash everything with ease using the Crue® touchless faucet, then I dry and chop all in one place in the Prolific® sink while keeping my kitchen clean and my cooking efficient. —Dan Pelosi
Test Kitchen Notes
This recipe is shared in This recipe is shared in partnership with Kohler. —The Editors
russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
rosemary sprigs, de-stemmed
thyme sprigs, de-stemmed
whole egg plus 1 egg yolk, whisked
large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, add the potatoes and cook for 15 to 18 minutes, or until you can easily pierce through the potatoes with a paring knife. Strain the potatoes and set aside, reserving 1 cup of the starchy water.
- Heat the oil and butter over low heat in an 8-inch pan. When the butter has melted and is slightly frothy, add in the herbs and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until crisp. While the herbs cook, add the egg, egg yolk, sour cream, parmesan, and starchy water to the potatoes and mash to your desired consistency.
- Remove the herbs from the oil and butter with a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, and set aside. Add the garlic to the hot oil and butter and fry until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and transfer to a small bowl. Remove the oil and butter from heat and set aside.
- Add half of the crispy garlic and half of the crispy herbs to the potatoes and stir to combine. Serve the mashed potatoes in a large bowl and top with a drizzle of the oil and butter you used to crisp the aromatics, as well as the remaining crispy herbs and garlic.