Author Notes: The only formal cooking class I have ever attended is that of Levana Kirshenbaum, a Kosher cooking teacher who runs her school out of the Lincoln Center Synagogue. Though I'm the furthest thing from Kosher, I go to spend time with my friend Jen, who aspires to be. Though most of the principles of the cuisine do not apply to me, I always walk away form the class having learned some new trick and getting a few delicious new recipes. This tilapia is adapted from Levana. —Giulia Melucci
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, diced or 6 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tilapia filets, 6-8 ounces each
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the tomato, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt, and saute 3 more minutes.
- Add vinegar, raisins, brown sugar, and another 1/4 tsp. salt. Saute 3 more minutes.
- Place tilapia filets in a roasting pan just large enough to hold them, season with salt and pepper, pour sauce over them, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and pine nuts before serving.