Author Notes: I wanted to take this challenge down to the essence of ingredients, olives and citrus. Just before looking at what this week's challenge was, I was trolling my Amazon wishlist. One of many tagged books is entitled "Olives and Oranges" by Sara Jenkins (Porchetta, NYC), and Sandy Fox (editor of La Cucina Italiana) and it spans the Mediterranean in cuisine and has the MOST beautiful photo of oranges and olives front and center. Having never opened it, all I need was that photo for my recipe to start writing itself in my head. It is also helpful that my sister bequeathes Honeybell oranges on my parents during the winter months and they generously share them with me. I used a mix of olives in this, green and kalamata mostly. - testkitchenette —testkitchenette
Food52 Review: Not being beneficiary of honeybell oranges, I was lucky enough to score a Cara Cara orange for this amazing recipe. I was a little nervous the olives would cook to a pulp after an hour and a half, but for some mysterious reason they did not. They just became infused with the wonderful orange flavors. Serving this alongside some lovely french bread with a bit of ricotta made us feel like we on a yacht somewhere in the Mediterranean. Two thumbs up! —wssmom
Serves: about 6
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hrs 30 min
cups olives, I used a mixed bag, so choose to your liking
cup dried figs, quartered
cup white wine
tablespoon fruity olive oil
zest and juice of 1 juicy and sweet orange
cloves of garlic, smashed
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour into a foil lined baking sheet (one with sides). After zesting and juicing the orange and toss the orange half that has been zested juiced in with the mixture. Enclose olive mixture with foil and seal.
- Bake for an hour. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes. Cool a bit and serve along with bread smeared with ricotta or mascarpone.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Umami-Centric Recipe