If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These silver-dollar size latkes bring a colorful and delicious addition to any Hanukkah party. The recipe is easy and can be made ahead of time. —Viviane Bauquet Farre
Makes 48 silver-dollar size latkes f
For the latkes
- 1 pound (450g) (4 medium) roasted red beetroots (see cook’s note 2) – peeled and coarsely chopped in a food processor using steel blade (3 cups)
- 12 scallions – ends trimmed and thinly sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs – lightly beaten
- olive oil for the pan
For the cayenne crème fraîche
- 2/3 cup crème fraîche
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- Place the beets and scallions in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the flour, salt and pepper. Toss well. Add the eggs and stir until well blended.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to generously cover the pan. Using a dessert spoon, scoop up a heaping teaspoon of batter and shape it into a mound. Drop each latke into the hot oil. Slightly flatten with the back of the spoon. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until golden-brown. Flip the latkes and sauté for another 2 minutes until golden-brown. (You may have to lower the heat as the pan gets hot: the latkes shouldn’t turn brown too fast and the oil should never come to smoking point). Transfer to a platter lined with a paper towel. Repeat until the beet mixture has all been used up, adding more oil to the pan as necessary.
- Cook’s note 1: The latkes can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead and kept at room temperature. To re-heat, place on a jellyroll pan and warm in a 400°F preheated oven for 6 to 7 minutes until sizzling and proceed with step 4.
- Place the crème fraîche in a small bowl. Add the cayenne and gently mix until well bended. Do not overmix or the crème fraîche will become too loose. Transfer to a small serving bowl.
- Place the latkes on a platter. Serve with the cayenne crème fraîche on the side.
- Cook’s note 2: To roast the beets – Preheat oven to 450ºF. Place the unpeeled beetroots in a small ceramic baking dish. Fill the pan with 1/2? of spring water. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until very tender. Remove from pan and set aside to cool to room temperature. The beets can be stored in a sealed container and refrigerated for up to 3 days.