If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I started out trying to make a more virtuous banana bread by subbing canola oil for butter and integrating some whole wheat flour into the mix. But I veered slightly off that path when I slathered my cast-iron skillet with salted butter, cornbread-style, before pouring in the batter. —Midge
Makes one cake
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 ounces super-dark chocolate (I used Green & Black's 85%), roughly chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons salted butter
- Heat oven to 350.
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- In large bowl (with hand-mixer) or standing mixer, beat together oil and eggs, add in bananas and vanilla. Gradually fold in dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in nuts and chocolate.
- Generously grease nine-inch cast-iron skillet with salted butter and pour in batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.