Author Notes: Growing up in an italian household risotto was and still is one of my favourite comfort foods especially on those cold winter evenings.
This recipe was given to me by my aunt, who next to my mother is one of the best cooks I know. This recipe is well worth standing over the stove stirring constantly for the 15 minutes or so minutes it takes to cook. I love the way the mascarpone coats the tongue. Its definately company worthy.
Buon appetito! —Franca
medium onion finely chopped
cup cup dry white wine
cups cups uncooked Arborio rice
cups chicken stock
container mascaropone cheese (preferably Polenghi)
tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat. Sauté onions and carrot in butter until softened but not browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add white wine & evaporate almost fully.
- Stir the rice until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of stock; stirring until liquid is almost completely absorbed. Repeat this process with remaining broth, stirring constantly. Incorporating the broth should take 15 to 20 minutes in all.
- Stir in mascarpone, 3 tablespoons Parmesan until cheeses are incorporated & risotto is creamy.
- Season to taste with black pepper. Divide risotto among 6 bowls, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe