If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Inspired by conversations on the Food52 Hotline, we're sharing tips and tricks that make navigating all of our kitchens easier and more fun.
Today: Don't panic -- the perfect pie is within your reach. Here's everything you need to make it a reality.
Pies can be scary. For a dish so simple and beloved, people are surprisingly hesitant about tackling it, especially when the pressure is on -- particularly right now, in preparation of Thanksgiving. But really, what is a pie but crust, filling, and a little bit of love? Make it vegan, make it raw, make it a rectangle -- all that really matters is that you make it delicious. That's where we can help you out. From rolling out the dough to the prerequisite whipped cream, we've got you covered on all matters pie-related. As long as you promise to share the finished result.
Here's everything you need to know to make the perfect pie. Start with the crust:
- Achieving a perfectly flaky, buttery crust isn't impossible: It's really all about mastering your ingredients.
- Get the lowdown on that vodka pie crust you've heard so much about.
- If you plan on blind baking, here's how to avoid shrinkage, puffing, or sogginess.
- If you're gluten-free -- or entertaining gluten-free guests this week -- turn to a classic gluten-free crust, or a super-easy cookie crust.
- Watch Amanda demonstrate her favorite way to roll out pastry dough.
Next, figure out your filling:
- Never suffer a cracked pumpkin pie again -- these are the tips you need to bake any custard filling perfectly.
- If you have a vegan coming to dinner, make this pie. Everyone at the table will be happy.
- If you're stuffing your pie with apples, here's the best way to peel them.
And then perfect your finishing touches:
- If you want to make your pies a little extra fancy, here are 9 ways to do it -- from crimped edges to marshmallow toppings.
- Or, just focus on your top crust. Here are our 3 favorite ways to style it.
- Once you've baked your beautiful pie, be sure to transport it carefully -- this PieBox will do the trick.
- Whipped cream is a pie's best friend -- make sure you get your garnish just right.
And, if all of this gets to be too much...
- Remember that you can always ditch your crust and focus on the pumpkin pie filling.
Tell us in the comments: What pies are you making this Thanksgiving?
You Haven't Thai'd This
Thai iced tea is great, but this dessert is better
You haven't thai'd this before.
More seats and more space are possible.
We've got the summer blues.
Recipe of the Day
A better basket.