🔔
🔎

Uses for the whey leftover from making ricotta?

asked by jacksonholefoodie almost 3 years ago
Wholefoods_user_icon

I typically keep it for up to a week in the fridge (back, in the coldest part, like you do). If I don't use it by then, I put it in the freezer. I use wide mouth canning jars (pint and quart) leaving about an inch of head space. Do not use any type of glass jar other than a wide mouth jar, or the expansion will break it. I defrost on medium power in the microwave. Shake it well before using, as it tends to separate a bit. ;o)

I think that ricotta is made from whey. The cheese that you are referring to is called farmer's cheese (delicious). Ricotta means twice cooked.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

I use the liquid to make dough for Indian Paratha & Roti.

Whey is a biproduct of mozzarella...then it is used to make ricotta. Whey is not a biproduct of ricotta. What you think is ricotta is farmer's cheese

19935_292165946404_502966404_5168928_1994829_n

I have used whey to aid in the fermentation process when making cultured vegetables (similar to sauerkraut)! Using whey allows me to add less salt...

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13

Hi!

In addition to the ideas already suggested, I hope you will check out the infused whey link I have posted here on Food52:

As well this second link below, lists a few recipes (of many) I have made with whey :)

http://lapadia.wordpress...

Ricotta_whey

you can also add to smoothies..it has some good protein in it :) I use mine for bagels. And whey is the correct term. The ricotta is the "curds" in curds and whey of Miss Muffet fame :)

20090907-jackson-8

Thanks everyone! Never again will I toss out my precious whey!

At my daughter's old Waldorf nursery school they used to soak oatmeal in it overnight before cooking in the classroom for a midmorning snack. Yum.

I've used it in pancakes instead of water.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Just used some ricotta whey the other night to cook potatoes in, for mashing. Really outstanding! I kept the liquid at a simmer, and had cut the potatoes into smaller than usual pieces. The whey gave the mashed potatoes a marvelous flavor. I also added a couple tablespoons of heavy cream and about a tablespoon of butter. I used 1 1/2 cups of whey per 1 large russet. And best of all, I saved the potato starch-enriched cooking liquid to use in making a loaf of white sandwich bread. Not surprisingly, it turned out spectacularly. ;o)

Massimo's_deck_reflection_10_27_13

Yum, mouthwatering, I can taste it now!

20090907-jackson-8

Whey to go! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Now I need to make some more cheese so I have an abundant supply of whey.