🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Raspberry Custard Cups

Food52_07-12-11-195

I have a question about the ingredient "cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces" on the recipe "Raspberry Custard Cups" from SLD. Is generic cream cheese like Philadelphia fine? Or do I need something higher-end?

asked by kkathrine over 2 years ago
Farmer's_market

I've never done this exact recipe, but have made plenty of cream cheese custard pie/tart fillings, cheese cakes, etc. and Philadelphia brand (or equal) is perfectly fine.

Dsc_0253_2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

As with anything, the best quality you can afford is always best, but Philadelphia should work just fine.

Scan0004

Chances are that the recipe was tested with Philly CC. Cream cheese as we know it is an American phenomenon and that Philadelphia is the oldest company in the market making it-- since the 1850's, according to Kraft (currently owner of the brand). I know that there are some issues with gums -- no doubt not in the recipe 150 years ago, but unless the recipe specifies a brand, it's probably the right choice. (And I wouldn't call it generic -- that term goes to the store brands.)

Kt4

i just made this recipe last night and used store brand low fat cream cheese. it came out fabulous!