What to do with beef shanks in summer?

I have a freezer full of beef shanks from my meat CSA, and I'd really like to use them up soon or we'll run out of space, but with the weather in the mid to upper 90s and humid, it's hard to imagine braising and eating beef shanks. Any suggestions for making them summery??

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

asked about 2 years ago
036

Two non-oven options come to mind - the slow cooker (aka our good friend the crock-pot) and/or a pressure cooker. I would sear them in a skillet and then cook them in one of the above with a simple stock / wine / herb type deal - at the end you could "summer them up" by adding tomatoes and basil, or peaches and lemon verbena and thyme, or corn and basil - I haven't actually tried this mind you but it makes sense in my head!!!

I like aargersi's suggestions (they make sense in MY head too!), or you could try this barbeque-braising technique that I tagged in Fine Cooking last summer. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds great. http://www.finecooking...

Baci1

Braise in a crockpot and then throw them on the grill. Likewise, you can braise on a grill.

Or you can chop up the meat and make chili.

Junechamp

When I saw your question my gut-level response was "I'd freeze them for cooler weather." As much as I adore braised meats, and chili is wonderful, too... In this heat and humidity I can't imagine cooking anything, much less braising meats.

Maybe you have a friend with a larger freezer who could hold them for you until .... oh, October?

I just did smoke tea country style pork ribs in the pressure cooker, finishing on the grill and it only took 15 minutes on the stove. Granted, there is that huge spew of steam to deal with, but I suppose you could do that outside. :) These curried beef short ribs are great and it would probably be wonderful with shank too: http://www.myrecipes.com.... You could do this in the pressure OR slow cooker. I even stooped to putting the slow cooker in my garage last week as it licked 100.

I just prepped some five spice beef shanks in the crock pot. They make great appetizers cold, sliced thin, with pickled cauliflower or shallots. My husbands favorite way to eat five spice beef is making making mrslarkins scallion pancakes, spread some hoisin sauce, and slivers of green onions, as well as cold sliced five spice beef! Easy quick dinner on a summer night.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Sounds wonderful Darlene!

Sausage2
fiveandspice

Thank you all for these wonderful suggestions! They definitely all make sense inside my head too, and I may even have enough shanks to try all of them, hehe.