Sautéed potatoes and dried rosemary?

Is it possible to make sautéed potatoes with dried rosemary, or is fresh the only way to go? I'm worried that dried rosemary will end up too brittle.

asked by juliannamarie over 2 years ago

I've done it both ways and in either case the rosemary gets a little hard/burned. But they both taste good so if you only have dried - use dried

I always use fresh because I live in California and it grows year round. But when I lived in Washington state I used dry all the time. You'll still have good rosemary flavor, however I'd mince it for your potato dish. Enjoy!

I fall into the camp of preferring fresh rosemary. Prefer the softer texture and am fortunate to be able to grow fresh. I would probably substitute another fresh herb if I could not get my hands on fresh rosemary.

If you don't have fresh rosemary just use the dried. It shouldn't be brittle since potatoes take a while to cool through.

Fresh is definitely preferred. If you are using dried you might want to run it through a spice grinder. Possibly you could add another dried herb to the grind, like maybe fennel seed.

If you use dried, just wait a little longer to put it in the pan and it shouldn't get the burned "stick-like" quality as much.