THE SMARTER, SUPER STURDY ICE TRAYS YOU'RE LOVING. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Impulsively bought way too much corn at the farmer's market -- how log will it last and what's the best way to store it?

asked by Brette Warshaw almost 3 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

It will stay fresh in the fridge for 1-2 days but you can also freeze it. Here's a site that explains how:
http://www.stilltasty.com...

Blanch it ASAP. Then freeze what you're not going to eat in the next couple days. Corn is something you have to move very quickly with or it will turn to starch instead of sweet corny goodness.

When I say blanch, I mean remove all the husk and brush it down to remove as much of the silk you can from the ears. We usually do this on newspaper outside because it'll get messy. :)
Then do your boil and ice bath. If you we're wanting to grill some with the husk tonight or tomorrow, peel the husk back without removing it completely and then brush all the silks off of the ear and fold the husk back up. Since you're not blanching those, you'll want to stick them in the fridge until you use them (the sooner the better, again).

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I don't know how much is too much ( I routinely eat 3 ears a day this time of the year) but boiled and stored in the fridge in the boiling water (cooled) it will keep for 5 days. I briefly microwave each ear before eating it and apply butter and salt. Whatever you do, don't just let it sit as is though. By the third day, it will be really starchy and tough.

Depends what you're wanting to do with it. If you're going to use it in a cooked recipe, just wrap the unshucked ears and stick them in the freezer. Sometimes they fare well and can still be grilled or boiled for eating off the cob. sometimes not. But corn is pretty sturdy, each little kernel has it's very own skin, a pretty tough skin, so it really does last well for several days in the fridge or for longer in the freezer.

There is no such thing as too much corn on the cob in July! What I wouldn't give for some of those ears. Instead of freezing it, try drying it. You can save it to use in the fall and winter and remember those lovely summer days. Here's how:
http://www.motherearthnews...

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

You could always can some chow chow and then you'd have corn all year!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I hate to push up a 'product' but the 'food saver' is great for corn on the cob. Shuck the corn and parboil then freeze the cobs and put them bags and vac pack them with some frozen herb butter; When 'boiled in the bag' (IT's SOUS VIDE!!) they're super fresh tasting.

Nothing, no storage method will save 'horse corn feed corn' type dried out corn into fresh corn on the cob unless you have a pet pig.