🔔
🔎

Can anyone help me make a custard without any eggs?

asked by Loreleis about 1 year ago

The classic definition of a custard is "that which is set by the coagulation of egg protein." By that standard, crème brûlée, flan, pot de crème, cheesecake, lemon curd, and even pumpkin pie are custards. Pastry cream, which contains both eggs and corn starch is a hybrid. What are you trying to make?

Yes, I love custards especially pumpkin but I can no longer eat eggs and am dreaming-wishing and hoping that there will be a way to get around this "little problem".

Image

You could make a basic "sweet" custard-like sauce with cream, sugar and cornstarch and flavor it with Lemon juice, Strawberry purée, etc
Not "custard", but, depending on the application, could work!

Farmer's_market

You could make Panna Cotta - it's not a custard, but is a rich, creamy, fairly custard-ish dessert that contains no eggs. Very easy too. This is a good basic recipe for a vanilla one: http://www.davidlebovitz...
There are recipes for panna cottas flavored with chocolate, etc....maybe you could experiment with using pumpkin.

Image

Chia seed custard http://triumphofthelentilblog...

Iota Carageenan it's made from seaweed. It works best with dairy.

Fsm

I don't have the book on hand, but I remember seeing a large list of egg substitutes that may work in the book Vegan a Go Go by Kramer. I think Flax works well for thickening things up like custard. I used it as a binder in bread pudding and it worked well.

Or perhaps a gelatin (or one of the vegan substitute made from seaweed) based custard like substance? I've seen some recipes for those in war time cooking books, back when eggs were rationed. The basic theme was add milk/cream and other ingredients to the jelly (that's been dissolved in a bit of water) then whisk until combined - or you can keep whisking for a airy mousse like substance. My family tradition is to make this by whisking it just until it all looks frothy, then letting it set. On top is a layer of stiff froth, and underneath is a layer of creamy, um how to discribe it, like an over solid custard.

Fsm

I should have mentioned, you can change the texture by altering the ratio of gelatin to liquid from a hard set, almost solid, good for eating with your fingers jelly, to a soft set, almost creamy goo. The ratios depend on your brand of gelatin and the other ingredients you are using.

Farmer's_market

I mentioned this above (recipe linked,) but Panna Cotta is essentially a 'custard' like dessert made with gelatin and no eggs.

Photo_(6)

You can try to use agar-agar powder, its a vegetarian's gelatin substitution.If you google about it,might be helpful. If I am not wrong Panfusine, one of the member uses agar-agar in some of her recipes. You might wanna ask her.She is here on food52.

Thank you everyone. I knew all you experienced people would have some help for me. I've gotten several answers and ideas I shall give a go. A severly restricted diet has clipped my cooking wings but slowly and surely I am trying to find ways to work around all the road blocks. Acidic and spicy are the most difficult and it makes you just have to work harder at making tasty foods..thanks for being here you guys.

Dsc00426

There are puddings and "custards" made with silken tofu as a base that you might find satisfying. One popular one is pumpkin pie made with the silken tofu instead of eggs, and it can be really very tasty; I think many people wouldn't know it wasn't made with eggs if they weren't told. I don't have a recipe that I use, but you will find lots of options if you google it.

I looooove Amysarah's suggestion of panna cotta - brilliant! Because of its gelatin, it has the tender, comforting texture of a custard without the eggs. Think of it as sort of a faux custard.