🔎

how can I reduce the acidity of a tomato vegetable soup?
the tomatoes were extremely acidic.
thank you

Dscn.esther.and.larry.08.10.10
New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

A tiny pinch of sugar should do the trick. And if one pinch isn't even, add a second, but taste carefully after each addition, as it is easy to overdo it. A touch of cream also will help smooth it out nicely.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Sorry, that should have been "isn't enough." Really must read my answers before submitting . . . . ;o)

I would go with the cream (or milk) answer but in proportion to the soup. Don't overwhelm it. Depending on where you live you might be able to buy Mexican crema cf. creme fraice, sour cream etc. That would work too.

Uruguay2010_61
usuba dashi added over 3 years ago

Try some "sweet" veggies. . . .carrots always help take the acidic edge off tomatoes.

Lucytron added over 3 years ago

Sugar, wine, or a little cream should do the trick. Also, sometimes canned tomatoes just need to simmer for a while to get their natural sugars in action. Try simmering for a while (add some extra broth or water), and then try adding another ingredient.

S538818392_1497440_3193_1_
casa-giardino added over 3 years ago

A pinch of baking soda.