🔔
🔎

Is there anything I can do with spoiled milk besides throw it away? Can I boil it?

asked by XXX-XXX-1371 over 3 years ago

If your milk is truly spoiled - and you know that smell/taste instinctively - it's garbage. Spoiled milk is different that soured or cultured milk, which is milk that has been intentionally soured with a starter or friendly bacteria (like those found in yogurt).

That said, provided the taste isn't super awful, you probably could use it in baking as a substitute for buttermilk or in bread doughs. Personally though, I can't ever get past the smell/

52

you can make homemade indian cheese ( paneer) with curdle milk not spoiled milk how to make my own paneer cheese. It's incredibly easy, actually. All you need is milk and lime. Bring the milk almost to the boil then add the juice of one lime. Turn off the heat and stir. Then drain off the liquid with a muslin cloth and put something heavy on it for a few minutes. delicious cheese! http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Dsc_0010

Scan0004

I have read that, because of the way commercial milk is processed, you can't get a naturally sour milk. It becomes something foul and nasty. If you want to make simple cheese, yogurt, etc., start with fresh milk. If you think you will have milk on hand too long, it can be frozen.

Susan G is right -nearly all of the milk we drink in the US is pasteurized (even *ultra*pasteurized). That means all the bad buggies are killed off, but any good bugs are too. So any natural souring (like in yogurt or creme fraiche) won't happen. When that milk spoils, it does so because "bad" bacteria get into it after it's been opened. The paneer that pauljoseph mentions can be made with sour milk, but milk that's truly gone bad (smells awful and vinegary) and tastes unpleasant will make a cheese that smells bad and tastes unpleasant.

Just how "Spoiled" is it. If it's just sour--not for drinking. It's great in breads, biscuits, and cornbread.

Toss it. I've given myself food poisoning a couple of times from dicey dairy products. I don't mess around with them any longer. It's cheap compared to a couple of days crouching over and on the toilet.

Image

My aunt swears by spoiled milk to use in her chocolate cake!!