🔎

• 6

• 2223

A question about a recipe: Baked Oatmeal

I have a question about the recipe "Baked Oatmeal" from chez danisse. I've noticed all baked oatmeal recipes call for a small amount of baking powder. Why is this? What does the baking powder do?

Ry_400
Hilary_sp1
Hilarybee added about 3 years ago

Baking powder is a raising agent and will help to lighten the texture of a baked good. For the baked oatmeal, the baking powder prevents the end good from becoming too dense and heavy.

Me_by_barbara_tyroler
Nora added about 3 years ago

If you would entertain another baked oatmeal recipe, try this one. It's really good. From Penzey's: http://www.penzeys.com...

chez danisse added about 3 years ago

I'm with Hilarybee. I believe that covers it. Happy baking!

ellenl added about 3 years ago

I saw somewhere instructions to simply put steel cut oatmeal in a ceramic baking dish/casserole that has a cover, add water to about 1 inch above the oatmeal, cover and bake 45 mins. at 400. The top becomes nice and crunchy and is delicious as is or with fruit, jam, yoghurt, etc. It is dense.

Ry_400
melissav added about 3 years ago

Thanks picklers.

chez danisse added over 2 years ago

Update -- I just made a batch and forgot to add the baking powder. I didn't like the texture as much as I do when I add baking powder.