A question about a recipe: Tangy Creamy Buttermilk Cucumbers

50_thumb

I have a question about the recipe "Tangy Creamy Buttermilk Cucumbers" from slulibby.

Can it be made ahead and if so, how far in advance?

asked by BelleEtoile about 3 years ago
Image

I think I'd cut up the vegetables and store them separately and make the dressing and store it separately, then toss it all together an hour before serving. Cucumbers throw off a lot of liquid; I'd be afraid it would get too watery if I left it for too long.

Great suggestion. I'm throwing a birthday party for my mother -- 83rd. I plan to grill catfish and make a selection of salads people can choose: cucumber, orange/olive, roasted potatoes with mint and garlic, green bean, chick pea and tomato and mozzarella. Folks can choose what they like and I won't have to worry about timing side dishes. (25 or so guests) What I working on is how much I can get done before next Saturday! looks like I'll be up early!

Image

Sounds like a great menu--have fun! I hope you have beautiful weather.

Scan0004

Another possibility to reduce the liquid from the cucumber is to salt the slices, rinse and dry when you add the dressing.

Flower-bee

I would sincerely advice against slicing the cucumbers early, but if there isn't any other dish you can help yourself with in advance, then store the cucmbers in the coldest possible part of the refrigerator.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I think the consensus is not to slice the cucumbers too far ahead. I made this salad last year and it was a big hit. We've added an Italian Creme cake to the menu (along with homemade Ice cream) and I've never made one. Does anyone have a great recipe? Should I move this question to another section. This is the first time I've used this forum!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet