My grandmother used to make something she called "raisin squares".
It was baked in a sheet pan with an upper and lower layer of pie crust.
The filling had raisins, butter, and apple pie type spices.
The raisins were whole black raisins and the filling was only about two raisins thick.
Once baked the the crust would be cut into about nine squares for individual servings.
It wasn't quite a pie and it wasn't quite a cookie. They were soooo good.
She was from Newfoundland but considered herself English, maybe the recipe originated there.
Does anyone know a recipe that comes close to this?

asked by boociebear almost 4 years ago

I think this may be it:
http://www.brooksideoflivonia...

Also known as Matrimonial cake.

Here's another one:
http://www.canadianliving...

These are both in the ballpark, TiggyBee. My Grandmother flavored the raisins somewhat differently as far as I can remember, but this is probably one of those recipes like meatloaf where everyone has there own version.
I liked the first link. So many recipes using savory!
My mother and grandmother used to get so exited when they got their annual package of "real" savory mailed to them from up north.
Thanks for the help.

4009951565_16d666fbc7

Garibaldi_biscuit Does it look like this? Those are called Garibaldi biscuits (though sometimes amusingly and aptly named "squashed fly biscuits") and they're very common and popular in England. I love them because they're not too sweet. Here's a recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food...

Very close. My grandmothers didn't have the holes pricked in them.
These look yummy.
What the heck is caster sugar? I'll try all these recipes over time.
I don't want these to come out weird from using the wrong type of sugar.
Thank you for helping.

Caster sugar is what the Brits call granualted. Same thing, although I do believe theirs is a finer grain than ours, but essentially the same.

I just made raisin squares for Christmas. It was my grandmother's recipe. She is 100% Lithuanian, but born in Massachusetts. Just like you say, the filling is thin between pie crusts. This recipe is on a rectangular cookie sheet. the filling is 12-15 oz of regular raisins put in a pot with water just covering the raisins. 1 cup of brown sugar, a quarter teaspoon of both cloves and nutmeg, and I think a whole teaspoon of cinnamon. bring to a boil, add 3tbs of flour to 2 oz of water, mix and add while stirring. cook mixture until stewed. put in pan, cooked at 425 degrees. my grandmother used a fork to blend the top and bottom crusts together, then outline squares with the fork tines. (she cut into 24 small squares as my mother has 3 brothers and she was frugal) finally it is brushed with milk and baked for 20 minutes. My family demands that this is made every Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving only! occasionally New Years.
probably my all time favorite treat.

probably my all time favorite treat.