If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: i still remember my life-changing mushroom moment. forget your psychedelics, the mushroom moment i’m talking about is completely non-toxic. M and i were in paris about 2 years ago, and i was a few weeks into a non-vegan life. that is, i was venturing into dairy, and life was good.
now you may think that the wonderful pastries and lavish omelets would be the dishes that would awaken my senses and leave me speechless, but that wasn’t the case. one night, my boyfriend and i took a late dinner at a small bistro in the marais. it was there that i ate morels with butter. oh. my. goodness. it was spring, and morels were in season, and the butter was incredibly fine. i drank a crisp glass of champagne with my morels, and the experience is firmly ingrained in my memory forever.
you may think: mushrooms? who cares if they’re seasonal? a mushroom is a mushroom. not so, mon ami. a good mushroom, picked right in season, tastes far superior than the white variety at the supermarket. that being said, last saturday, we picked up a bag of simple cremini mushrooms from a forager from upstate new york at the greenmarket.
the result is an amazing deep, earthy flavor that will astound and compliment many a main dish. bon appetit and enjoy! —nadiact
- 1.5 pounds cremini mushrooms (or any variety, or varieties, you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 scallions, chopped
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- clean the mushrooms with paper towels and slice coarsely
- heat the oil in a frying pan, add the lemon juice, mushrooms, scallions, and cook for a few minutes. add the butter, and cook a few minutes more, until the liquid has evaporated
- season with salt and pepper to taste, and let cook another minute or so
- plate the mushrooms and serve immediately
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
A Grain of Truth
When to switch up salts
The truth about salt swaps.
Our recent favorite recipes.
It's time to travel.
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
Put cake on a pedestal.