If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Our Romanian family tradition of loving cl?tite (a.k.a. crepes) has been passed down for many generations. My memories are of my grandmother standing at the stove and cranking out crepes for us, one-at-a-time. The family would be sitting around the table waiting for the next crepe to arrive. We ate them warm, with sugar, and rolled up like cigars.
I have recaptured this family treasured tradition with my children, except that I own two, perfectly seasoned, crepe pans. My children will remember me for my crepes and the Romanian cl?tite will always have a special place in our family history.
I have expanded my crepes to enjoy many different types of sweet and savory crepes. I will share with you one of my favorite savory crepes.
I will include photos of the different types of crepes we create in our home (including the Romania cl?tite).
The first photograph, of my Spinach-Feta Crepes with Tomato Coulis, is courtesy of Alex Vasilescu Photography: http://www.photo-food.com/
Savory Crepe Batter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 10 ounces spinach
- 1/2 pound feta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Tomato Coulis (third set of ingredients below):
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- To make the crepes: Add all crepe batter ingredients into a blender and process until combined. Refrigerate at least a few hours, or refrigerate overnight.
- After the mixture has chilled in the refrigerator – heat crepe pan until hot. Grease the pan lightly with a no-stick cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan. Rotate the pan so that the batter will spread.
- To make the filling: Rinse and place damp spinach in pot and cook on the stove top until limp. Add spinach and the rest of the filling ingredients into a processor and purée.
- Add filling to the center of a savory crepe and roll. Place crepes in a 350 degree oven and heat while you are making the tomato coulis.
- To make the tomato coulis: Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil for about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper to the onion mixture. With an immersion blender, process this mixture while still in the pan. You could add this mixture to a blender and puree but I wanted a chunkier texture and the immersion blender allows you to control how you much you puree. Spoon over crepes and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.