If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a variation on the basic beer bread recipe presented by Gerald Norman at food.com. Taken the basic bread batter itself, it is well suited for experimenting with any "filler" elements, such as olives, garlic, jalapenos, cheese, or anything that suits your imagination. One of my favorite combinations is garlic, parmesan and rosemary.
The preparation is quite simple, and takes about 5 minutes. 1 hour baking time. —joninnyc
Food52 Review: This chewy, dense quick bread has a malty sweetness from the beer (rule of thumb: the more flavorful the beer, the more flavorful the bread) and a rich honey color from the beer and the whole wheat flour, which I highly recommend you use. The sweetness is offset by the addition of nutty Parmesan, garlic and heady rosemary, making it suitable for almost any time of day (okay, maybe not an early morning breakfast). It is heavenly spread with a thick cloak of salted butter, or just as is. - Merrill —The Editors
Makes 1 loaf
- 3 cups sifted white flour (optional: replace 1 cup with whole wheat flour)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 handful grated Parmesan (to taste/preference)
- 1 handful rosemary leaves, chopped (or to taste/preference)
- One 12-ounce can of beer (the more carbonated the better)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Sift the flour again into a large bowl.
- Add all dry ingredients, chopped garlic, cheese, and herbs. Lightly mix with a spoon.
- Slowly pour in beer. Let it sit for a few minutes to absorb the mixture. Mix with a spoon until dough has absorbed all of the beer. Should be a thick consistency.
- Grease a large bread pan and pour in mixture. Pour the butter over the dough.
- Cook for 50 minutes to an hour, until top of bread is golden brown and the loaf is firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Best served warm!
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
Independence Day, the frozen dessert way
Ice cream, cookies, and independence.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
This pasta's mint to be.