If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: This is the sandwich I always pack going to jones beach with a crowd. It can be made the night before and everyone always loves it. This recipe reminds me of when my mom used to pack me a pb&j and I always used to smash it to condense the flavors. You could always substitute other meats or cheeses but this combination I feel pleases all palates. In some recipes for pressed sandwiches they tell you to put the vinagarette on before it goes in the fridge but I like it put on after to keep the bread less soggy. - singing_baker
- 1 Loaf ciabatta bread
- 1/4 cup Pesto, preferably homemade
- 1 pound Sliced turkey
- 2-3 ounces Proscuitto
- 1/2 cup Marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2 cup Roasted red peppers
- 5 ounces Fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 cups Baby arugula, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon Chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons Red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Slice ciabatta bread in half lengthwise. Scoop out bread from loaf (save to make fresh breadcrumbs). Start building flavors. Spread pesto out on bottom half of ciabatta bread. Then layer in the following order: turkey, proscuitto, artichokes, peppers, mozzarella, and then finally the arugula. Top with other half of bread.
- Wrap the sandwich very tightly in plastic wrap. Place in fridge with a baking sheet on top of it and a cast iron skillet(or something just as heavy) on top of the baking sheet. Let sandwich "smash" for at least six hours or overnight.
- Make vinaigrette: combine red wine vinegar, shallots and mustard in a small bowl. Wisk in olive oil to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper. At this point I pack it up and slice it into sandwiches on site. Either 6 large servings or 8 regular size servings. Serve vinaigrette on the side or drizzle on sandwich right before serving. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish