Author Notes: A simple, delicious breakfast made with home made whole wheat bread, a smear of smashed avocado and pesto to taste is a good way to start your morning. If you want to top it with a soft boiled farm fresh egg, be my guest. - thirschfeld
- 4 Slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 Avocado, peeled, seeded, smashed
- 1/4 cup Slivered almonds
- 2 cups Packed sorrel leaves, tough stems removed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- Place the almonds, sorrel, cheese, garlic, a pinch of salt and a few grinds Of pepper into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is minced and then drizzle in a 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Scrapes down the sides. Add more oil if the pesto isn't a consistency to your liking. Pulse.
- Toast the bread, set it on a plate, bowl up some pesto, do the same with the avocado and let your diners decide how much of a smear they want on their toast.
- Any leftover pesto would be great on pasta.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw